Pages from the Past - From Our 130-Year Archives

PROMO 660 x 440 Community - Pages from the Past Front Page - Chris Sorensen
Published Saturday, June 17, 2017
by Kiowa County Press Staff

15 Years Ago

June 14, 2002

 

  • Governor Bill Owens issued an executive order banning open burning throughout Colorado and the sale and use of all fireworks.

 

  • Sebrina D James named to the Dean's List at the University of Southern Colorado  with a 4.0 GPA

 

  • USDA Update- Rod Johnson: USDA agencies continue to receive new equipment to assist with farm program administration. The newest addition is GPS units to help land measurements.

 

25 Years Ago

June 11, 1992

 

  • Tracy Parker, Jessica Crockett, and Christi Scherler were selected as finalist the Miss Colorado National Teen-ager Pageant

 

  • Towner has received anywhere from 3.5 inches to 5 inches of rain. Pea sized hail also reported

 

40 Years Ago

June 17, 1977

 

  • Two of the Kiowa County Commissioners have spoken out about certain provision of the proposed weed control district being voted upon.

 

  • The future of the lakes south of Eads were one of several items suggested to be included in a study of  water resources in the Arkansas River Basin

 

  • Mates who have weathered matrimonial monsoons over 50 seasons or more will be feted at the Colorado State Fair

 

50 Years Ago

June 16, 1967

 

  • A ravaging hail and rainstorm cause personal property and crop damage to strip of land in the Prairie Queen community. The storm raising havoc for better than 2.5 hours Golf ball size hail and 6 inches of rain fell.

 

75 Years Ago

June 12, 1942

 

  • Mrs. H.R. Koepsel was brought to Eads hospital for treatment for a rattlesnake bite. Serun was administered and she was reported reacting satisfactorily.

100 Years Ago

June 15, 1917

 

  • George W. France purchased the building located between the barber shop & the pool hall from C.C. Wolever, is tearing it down and taking the lumber to his place for ranch buildings. This building has a history. In early days it was part of the courthouse at Sheridan Lake then moved to Eads where it was used as a store building for many years.