Published Saturday, June 24, 2017
15 Years Ago
June 21, 2002
- Due to extreme dry conditions in Colorado, the 16th annual 4-H Shooting Sports Family Camp was cancelled.
- A lot of people from Kiowa County attended Eastern Slope Rural Telephone Association annual meeting in Hugo and quite a few received $50 bills in drawing
- Wild Horse Roundup- Curtis Schrimp: C. Mark Gomez wife Kristie and son Alex visited us this past week. He teaches school in Clifton and sometime reads my column to the kids. They are the ones that sent 52 letters telling how they enjoyed my column.
25 Years Ago
June 18, 1992
- Henry J. Liggett may be the oldest license pilot in the country. He flew into Eads for the Colorado Flying Famers and Ranches meeting. Liggett 96, didn't take up flying until he was 60.
- Eads Attorney Gary Davis was sworn into office as Kiowa County's new county judge.
- This is the 9th consecutive quarter Kit Carson State Bank received a prestigious award which identifies it as one of the strongest, safest, most credit-worthy commercial bank in United States.
- Herman & Jennie Schreivogel and Anna Gunderson attended basketball camp in Limon where Brian Bledsoe was playing.
- Alvin Siefkas had a memorable trip to Branson MO. At various times the bus he was ridding had a flat tire, a burned-out clutch and then ran out of gas.
40 Years Ago
June 24, 1977
- Wheat harvest has begun. LaVern Buck says should run 20 to 25 bushels per acre in Prairie Queen.
- Worth Lane is one of 17 first place winners nationally of a 2 week trip to Europe for 2, courtesy of the Hardware Retailers Assn.
- Steady Reader, Ethel Johnson was in to re-new her subscription for the 55th time. That's readers loyalty.
50 Years Ago
June 23, 1967
- Mr. & Mrs. Henry Eikner entertained their Pinochle Club. Those enjoying the evening Mr. & Mrs. Howard Hooker, Mr. & Mrs. Theron Fluke, Mr. & Mrs. Edwin Negley, Mr. & Mrs. T.T. Teal and Mr. & Mrs. Stanley McLaughin.
75 Years Ago
June 19, 1942
- The Missouri Pacific has announced the Colorado Eagles will fly next week, starting from St. Louis on Sunday and on Monday from Denver to Pueblo.
100 Years Ago
June 15, 1917
- Otha Ballard drilled a 700 ft well on his ranch west of Eads. Later gas began to develop in it. Gas come up through the pump pipe from the bottom of the well, through about 200 ft. of water & interferes with the pumping. John Link discovered that by properly applying a match the gas would burn. Of course we don't pretend to be oil or gas experts but would like to see this well drilled a little deeper. It is possible that a good supply of gas might be obtained.
- For several weeks outside parties have been traveling around the country in vicinity of Eads securing oil leases from land owners. It has been reported that about a township in the Black Lake neighborhood has been leased.
- One of the greatest moves toward development of Kiowa County that was ever put forth in the history of the county was launched at Eads in the organization of a Farm Bureau trough the efforts of the extension department of the State Agricultural College