Published Friday, August 4, 2017
15 Years Ago
August 2, 2002
- Wild Horse Roundup-Curtis Schrimp: Guess we got our allotment of rain Friday night. We got 2/10" which is the most we have had for several weeks.
- The 1st Kiowa County 4-H Food and Decorated Cake Auction will be held at the Haswell School
25 Years Ago
July 30, 1992
- Towner Tales: There were a number of farmers in the area unable to cut wheat due to the large number of weeds in their fields.
- About Town: Sunday afternoon as the rodeo show continued, I've never seen such muddy hats, cowboys and cowgirls they gallantly participated to place in the Little Britches Finals.
40 Years Ago
August 5, 1977
- Eads Mayor Jerri Legg's meeting to chart an action course to preserve Kiowa County's reservoir south of Eads could take on the character of a true summit conference in those expected, tentatively committed and invited all attend.
- The Kiowa County Board of Commissioners, as well as the county's Clerk, Assessor, Treasurer and Sheriff have opted not to join their counterparts from Pueblo County who are suing the state of Colorado to obtain a cost of living salary increase.
- Chivington News-Margaret Brown: Most everyone' garden have been badly damaged by the hail, also windows broken out, cars damaged and houses had the roofs damaged along with much crop damage.
50 Years Ago
August 4, 1967
- Two Eads boys received honorable mention awards to the 1967 Fisher Body Craftsman's Guild, designing & building model cars for the competition. Terry Laird and Walter T. Immer received $25 cash awards for placing in the competition.
- "Mister Cowboy" Rex Allen will star in the "Cattle Call" extravagance nightly at the Colorado State Fair.
100 Years Ago
August 3, 1917
- The regular examination for County certificates will be held at the courthouse in Eads. The test will be held for any applicant or teacher desirous of teaching in a school