15 Years Ago
August 30, 2002
- Wild Horse Roundup-Curtis Shrimp: I guess Marty has a kind of wild life refuge at her ranch. She called saying her dog was jumping as high as he could up a tree and there was a coon. A calf found out there are porcupines. Deer travel through quite often and a few turkeys and some nights the coyotes sing to her.
25 Years Ago
August 27, 1992
- Sharilyn West, an English teacher in the Kiowa County School District RE-1, will have the poem she wrote "Lilacs" published in a new book called "Poetry: An American Heritage"
- Kiowa County Receives Money from the Colorado Lottery. Kiowa County received $32,732.22 from 1983-1991 on Conservation Trust Fund Shares and $5,283.81 in 1992.
40 Years Ago
September 2, 1977
- Money missing from Howlett's was the store's payroll which Howlett was counting out in the backroom when 8 or 10 women visited the store.
- Kiowa County 4-Hers won 2 state championships and 25 blue ribbons at the Colorado State Fair. Lori Shalberg named champion in bicycling and Tina Rehfeld selected champion in photography.
- A benefit auction to help defray the cost of the Eads Chamber of Commerce free chuckwagon breakfast will be held after the breakfast
- Opening enrollment at Eads schools was down 29 students according to principals Harold Stinson & Bud Wiser
50 Years Ago
September 1, 1967
- Miss Gail Voss,1967 Kiowa County Fair Queen and her attendant Lee Jean Dawson were guests of the congenial Mayor of East Tincup on radio KOA.
- Rocky Starr Show to appear in front of the grandstand Thursday evening to start the Kiowa County Fair.
- The Commandante Drill Team will perform at the Kiowa County Fair and Rodeo
- Schools in district RE-1 open this week with a total enrollment down 38 from this date last year.
- Another wildcat location was announced this week by the Colorado Oil & Gas Conservation Commission bring the total to 4 rotary rigs drilling in Kiowa County
75 Years Ago
August 14, 1942
- In addition to the five men who will be inducted from Kiowa County on August 19, the local Selective Service Board now has a call for 12 more on September 25.
August 21, 1942
- Miss Lorna Nichols of the Hillcrest community was honored by being chosen Queen of the 1942 Kids Rodeo at La Junta.
100 Years Ago
August 17, 1917
- Sheriff John Drown took Ed Kelly and John Rudolph, prisoners at the county jail, to Pueblo for safe keeping.
- Preparation are being made to move the Weisbrod building, formerly occupied by the Farm & Ranch and Doyle's Restaurant, to the lots just north of where it now stands.
- Howard Sunday has purchased an electric light plant of about four hundred average size lights capacity. He doesn't say much about what he is to do with it but we suspect he intends to light the town.