Published Wednesday, May 2, 2018
15 Years Ago
May 2, 2003
- The long-awaited project to renovate the Nipps-Bransgrove Building has received final approval from the Department of Local Affairs & construction could begin as early as June.
- The Eads Town Board was informed the sewer lagoon reconstruction project was nearing completion.
- About Town-Ida Lessenden: I have been hearing wonderful acclaims about the Quilt Show at the Artist of the Plains Gallery.
- Wild Horse Roundup-Curtis Schrimp: I went to the post office just carrying my cane for company. I got rid of that $300 worth of pills, so something should be better.
25 Years Ago
May 5, 1993
- Severe storm hit Kiowa County: 2 inches of hail on the ground in Haswell-Eads received more than 1 inch of rain-Rain help put out fire north of Eads-Tornado producing storms on the Colorado-Kansas border.
- The Town of Eads has been notified it will be the recipient of the 1993/1994 Safe Drinking Water Award for the State of Colorado.
- About Town-Ida Lessenden: We stopped to visit with our longtime friend, Leonard Greenwell, recently while he was gardening for exercise.
40 Years Ago
May 5, 1978
- Officially Eads received 1.58 inches and reports of two to five inches in other parts of Kiowa County.
- Potpourri: There's probably not any connection, but it is rather interesting to think about, they stop seeding the clouds over the mountains just a couple of days before our good rains.
- Sheridan Lake: David Murdock of Lakewood provided musical entertainment at the annual Senior Banquet held at the Plainview School.
- A single-engine Colorado National Guard jet fighter crashed & burned four miles west of Kit Carson.
50 Years Ago
May 3, 1968
- More than 60 people attended a Tornado School held in Eads. Marshall Grace of the United States Weather Service showed films & conducted an informative meeting as to tornado identification & measure to be taken in the event of natural disaster.
- Mr. & Mrs. L.M. (Bill) Johnson operator of the Rialto Hotel for nearly 40 years, will offer the business for sale May 6.
- John Davisson of Eads and his "Sugar Cane," a specially built high speed dragster will be at Denver Raceway Park to compete.
75 Years Ago
April 23, 1943
- A fast-moving Missouri Pacific freight train piled up just east of Diston switch Wednesday morning blocking the railroad until late that evening.
100 Years Ago
April 26, 1918
- A steam rig is soon to be in operation at the Rush Creek oil well.