Pages from the Past - From our 134-year Archives for December 5, 2021
15 Years Ago
December 8, 2006
- A special hearing was held at the Kiowa County Courthouse for comment on a proposal for the county to retain $48,882 to be used for courthouse improvements.
- Dr. Hadley was presented with a plaque bearing a ”Key to the City” by Eads Mayor Larry Michael. Dr. Hadley is leaving the community after 23 years of service.
- The 8th Annual Northern Cheyenne Sand Creek Massacre Spiritual Healing Run had approximately 60 people gathering at the Sand Creek Massacre site.
25 Years Ago
December 6, 1996
- Over the counter ticket sales for the 1997 National Western Stock Show, Rodeo, and Horse Show are available at the show ground and all Ticket Master Outlets in Colorado.
40 Years Ago
December 4, 1981
- Tall Skies, Dabney Otis Collins’ book is, for the first time, is a complete history of the Colorado high plains. Starting with how the lands were formed and ending with a look at eastern Colorado today.
- A vehicle, which had been stolen in Kansas, was recovered in Eads by Chief of Police Peter Frank, after Frank was called to the Sheridan’s Café about driver actions of suspicious nature.
50 Years Ago
December 3, 1971
- A cow buffalo made her displeasure know of the entire vaccination proceedings can be seen by the volunteer’s hand going over the fence.
- Volunteers are hard at work on rejuvenating the old Kit Carson Rifle Club building after a 2-year layoff. Meanwhile, vandals played havoc with the building. The building had been built with surplus bomb crates and ammunition boxes.
- The Buffalo Downs Commission voted to continued racing at Cheyenne Wells.