15 Years Ago
March 23, 2007
- A truck hauling Fat Tire Beer blew a front steering tire, crossed into the other lane and back before it caught fire. The driver was not injured.
- As the West End Turns- Michelle Wyckoff: Wanda and I went to Colorado Springs to a Post Office meeting. It was wonderful and strange. They were strange, we were wonderful.
- East End Events- Lana & Peggy Weber: Bernice Tuttle wanted to remind everyone "No Money" needed to come to game night, just bring the goodies.
- Dear Kiowa County, I'm a 5th grader from Conway Elementary in WA. My class is doing a state report and I chose Colorado. What is the weather like? What do the kids wear?
25 Years Ago
March 21, 1997
- Nursing Home News- Nellie Nichert: Cheyenne Wells finally made it over for a couple of hours of Bingo after three cancellations.
40 Years Ago
March 19, 1982
- Construction on the addition to the First National Bank in Eads has begun.
- Plainview Science Department had 23 students grades 6-9 attend the Regional Science Fair in Lamar. Four of those students will represent the region at the State Science Fair.
- From the Sheriff's Desk-Floyd Griswould: A prairie fire burned out of control form some two hours causing extreme damage to a pasture belonging to the Pyles Estate.
- From the Sheriff's Desk-Floyd Griswould: The thieves were hitting places in Prowers County and leaving us alone.
50 Years Ago
March 24, 1972
- There is a rumor, not without basis, concerned the possibility of the Amity Mutual Irrigation Company selling its water rights to an "up-river canal company."
- The Kiowa County Sheriff's Department is investigating a break-in at the Kiowa County Courthouse.
- Damage that swept through the office of the Cheyenne Wells High School has been estimated at $30,000. The school is closed until further notice.