15 Years Ago
January 11, 2008
- The Kiowa County Sheriff's Office was selected to receive a Commercial Equipment Direct Assistance Program award. The award covers approximately $39,000 for equipment and training related to a new record management system.
- The Colorado state chapter of Dog and Cat Lovers of America, in partnership with IPOC, announce $1,000 cash grand prize in the 2008 Spring Cutest Pet Photo Contest.
- Prairie Pines January Special - Senior Citizen - $3 /swim.
25 Years Ago
January 9, 1998
- Amity Canal Company has been routing water into Sweetwater Reservoir over the past few weeks since John Martin Reservoir is near capacity.
- About Town- Ida Lessenden: A number of Eads senior citizens enjoyed supper and an evening of playing cards at the center New Year's Eve.
- Wild Horse Roundup- Curtis Schrimp: I stayed up 'til midnight and saw some of the fire words on Pikes Peak.
40 Years Ago
January 14, 1983
- In the early morning ceremony, held in the courtroom of the Kiowa County Courthouse, County Judge Keith Wissel conducted the official swearing -in ceremonies of the recently elected county officials.
- Two headed calf was born on the Raymond Eder farm but died during the night. A two headed calf is a rarity and this is only the second one born in Kiowa County during the past 4 years.
50 Years Ago
January 12, 1973
- Kiowa County showed a 4.7 percent increase in total industries' sales according to business research division at University of Colorado.
- The Kiowa County Sheriff's Office is planning to purchase two new portable radios in the near future.
- Farmers in Kiowa County stand to lose $24,000 in the elimination of the Rural Environmental Assistance Program.