Pages from the Past - From our 136-year Archives for March 26, 2023
15 Years Ago
March 21, 2008
- Kiowa County Sheriff Forrest Frazee is reminding residents that a fire ban is still in effect county-wide due to dry conditions.
- Eads Lady Eagles won their second straight girls’ basketball title, the 9th in school history and most titles in Colorado history.
25 Years Ago
March 20, 1998
- A proposed hog farm Conditional Use Permit application met with opposition at the Kiowa County Courthouse. Much of the controversy centered around the odors and possible ground water contamination.
40 Years Ago
March 25, 1983
- The Colorado Small Business Administration announced that, as a result of natural disasters, the counties of Baca, Kiowa and Prowers have been designated as Economic Injury Disaster Loan Areas. The disaster was the result of severe hail and heavy rains between May19, 1982, and September13, 1982.
50 Years Ago
March 23, 1973
- Both Re-1 & Re-2 School Districts in Kiowa County stand to be the hardest hit if the Union Pacific-Missouri Pacific Railroads are successful in their efforts to lower tax assessment by 40.1%.
75 Years Ago
- Good fortune continues to be with people of Eads and community since no accidents have occurred at the dangerous railroad crossing on Maine Street. It should not be necessary for someone to lose his life there in order to get the proper signal installed.
100 Years Ago
- Ten cents lets you in at the St. Patrick’s party at the church whether you are wearing the red or the green.