Pages from the Past - From our 136-year Archives for September 17, 2023
15 Years Ago
September 12, 2008
- USDA Update- Rod Johnson: A Cool, fall-like weather pattern has dominated the area the past couple of weeks. Summer crops are late maturing and will need to hurry to make grain before frost.
- Kit Carson Clips- Marilyn White: Kit Carson Day came off without a hitch. Weather was beautiful, not too hot nor too chilly.
- Stetson Mitchell won third at semifinals of the USTRA and qualified for the finals in Oklahoma City.
25 Years Ago
September 11, 1998
- Due to elevator maintenance, the emergency room at Weisbrod Memorial County Hospital will be moving to room 12 on the main floor.
40 Years Ago
September 16, 1983
- The class of 1933 held their 50th reunion at the I.O.O.F Hall. Nineteen of the 27 were present.
50 Years Ago
September 14, 1973
- High Rover, owned by Mrs. W.F. Frazee, was voted as “Horse of the Meeting” for the 1973 Centennial Turf Club season.
- Four Eads classes competed in a contest planned by the Eads High School Student Council. The class with the highest accumulative total of trash collected would receive $75.
75 Years Ago
- Mr. & Mrs. Truman White have replaced the old shelves and counters in their grocery store with new modern white ones.
- Ronnie McDaniel, who had his 1933 Plymouth stolen, was happy to hear it had been found abandoned in Denver.
100 Years Ago
- Word from a gentleman who passed through Haswell is to the effect that two men from southeast Colorado near Lamar were picked up by M.P. officers for stealing coal from the chutes at Haswell.
- Higginbottom’s Store advertised denim overalls $2.20 and a new line of men’s hats and caps at $1.75.