The National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch that covers 20 northeast Colorado counties.
The watch will be in effect until 10:00 p.m. Thursday and includes portions of Wyoming and Nebraska. Severe storms capable of producing a tornado may form in the area.
Storms could also produce very large hail - up to the size of chicken eggs - and wind gusts up to 70 miles per hour. Heavy rain and flash flooding are also possible.
Colorado counties included in the watch include
- El Paso
- Kit Carson
Tornado Safety Tips
If a tornado warning is issued for your area, consider these safety tips
- Avoid windows
- Go to a basement and use a sturdy table or mattress for protection
- If a basement is not available, go to a central, windowless room on the lowest level
- Mobile homes / manufactured home are NOT safe, even if tied down - go to a shelter
- Vehicles are not safe in a tornado - go to a shelter
- If you are caught outdoors, seek shelter in a sturdy building if possible - if not available, lie flat on the ground, use your arms to cover your head, and stay far away from trees