PROMO 660 x 440 Agriculture USDA Service Center Update

USDA Update – January 10, 2024

Eads USDA Service Center Staff


  • JANUARY 30, 2024- LIVESTOCK FORAGE PROGRAM or LFPKiowa County eligible.
  • 2024 ARCPLC ELECTION and ENROLLMENT - Deadline March 15, 2024.
  • SERVICE CENTER CLOSED - Monday, January 15 in observance of Martin Luther King birthday, a Federal Holiday. 

Disclaimer:  Information in this UPDATE is pertinent to Kiowa County FSA only. Producers reading this and that do not have FSA interest in Kiowa County are advised to contact their local FSA Office.


Ask the Expert: A Farm Operating Loan Q&A with Jack Carlile

In this Ask the Expert, Jack Carlile, Farm Loan Manager for the USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA), answers questions about farm operating loans and when producers should apply to secure funds for the current crop year.

As the Farm Loan Manager for the Cherokee County Service Center, Jack is responsible for managing the loan making and loan servicing activities for five counties in northeast Oklahoma.  His office provides services for over 650 farm loan customers. Jack was raised on a cross bred cow/calf operation that his grandparents started. Over the years, each generation has added to the operation by purchasing additional pasture. The operation also grows and bales their own hay. Jack’s agriculture background and degree in agriculture economics from Oklahoma State University help him better understand the financing needs of his producers.

Who can apply for FSA Farm Loans?

Anyone can apply for FSA’s loan programs. Applications will be considered on basic eligibility requirements. To apply for a loan, you must meet the following general eligibility requirements including:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or qualified alien.
  • Operator of a family farm or ranch.
  • Have a satisfactory credit history.
  • Unable to obtain credit elsewhere at reasonable rates and terms to meet actual needs.
  • Not be delinquent on any federal debts.

To read the full blog visit

USDA Reminds Underserved Producers of Advance Payment Option

If you’re an underserved producer and participating in the USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service’s (NRCS) Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), you can receive an advance conservation practice payment before you implement a practice.

A underserved producer is described as one of the below:

  • Beginning Farmer or Rancher – is new to farming or ranching or has operated a farm or ranch for less than 10-consecutive years.
  • Socially Disadvantaged Farmer or Rancher – is a member of a group whose members have been subjected to racial or ethnic prejudice because of their identity as members of that group without regard to their individual qualities.
  • Veteran Farmer or Rancher – has served in the armed forces and has not operated a farm or ranch, has operated a farm or ranch for less than 10-consecutive years, or first obtained veteran status during the last 10 years.
  • Limited Resource Farmer or Rancher – has a household income at or below the national poverty level. Eligibility can be determined by using this online tool.

Under the advance payment option, such producers may request payments when they have final designs and job sheets and are ready to begin their EQIP practices. Advance payments provide at least 50 percent of the payment rate for each practice. The funds must be spent within 90 days of receipt and practices must be completed as agreed to in an EQIP plan of operations. Producers also may opt to have NRCS pay the contractors or vendors directly.

For more information, contract your local USDA Service Center. 

Washington County FSA Office Is Hiring

The Washington County Farm Service Agency (FSA) office in Akron is hiring a full time, temporary Program Technician (PT). Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.

Duties include general office activities supporting FSA programs administered at the field level. Successful applicants must be reliable, have a professional attitude and enjoy working with the public.

If you are interested or know of someone who might be interested, please share this information with them. To apply, please email your resume directly to   

Contact Jackie Page at (970)345-2364 Ext. 2 if you have specific questions regarding the position.