15 Years Ago
January 9, 2004
- Eads Chamber of Commerce honored Faye Barber with Citizen of the Year and Gail Crawford Volunteer of the Year awards.
- Wind-generated power has become a reality in southeast Colorado. The new wind farm near Lamar nears completion.
- Wild Horse Roundup-Curtis Schrimp: New Year's Eve was pitch party time at our school house. There was a lot of good snack food that always goes over good.
25 Years Ago
January 12, 1994
- Christopher "Kit" Miniclier, staff writer for the Denver Post, was in Eads interviewing a number of local officials and business leaders. Mr. Miniclier stated the actual topic for a potential article had not been selected.
- Kiowa Count resident Brenda Fickenscher has been named by the Colorado Cattle Woman as Rookie of the Year.
40 Years Ago
January 12, 1979
- The water rates in Eads will increase to five dollars minimum for the first 3,000 gallons and 35 cents per one thousand thereafter.
- According to a recent article in the Iowa Park Leader, Mrs. Ruth Johnson, mother of fugitive Iowa Park agri-businessman Bobby Johnson, confirmed suspicions that her son did not fall off a fishing boat and drown in the Gulf of Mexico almost two years ago.
- The only newcomer of the elected officials to be sworn in was Floyd Griswould, who was elected Sheriff of Kiowa County.
50 Years Ago
January 10, 1969
- Jeanie Aldrich, senior at Eads High School and daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Ray Aldrich, placed first in the local contest and third in District completion of the annual V.F.W. Voice of Democracy Script Writing Contest.
- All youngsters 9 to 19 who have a dog and would like to train it-one of the newest additions to the 4-H program in Kiowa County this year is a Dog Obedience Club.