Pages from the Past - From our 135-year Archives for July 31, 2022
15 Years Ago
July 27, 2007
- Work is underway to replace the U.S. 40/287 overpass just east of Kit Carson.
- The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment confirmed three hantavirus pulmonary syndrome deaths.
- The Center for Transportation Safety has partnered with the Colorado Intergovernmental Risk Sharing Agency to provide driver training for worker in Haswell, Las Animas, Cheyenne Wells, Kit Carson and more than 200 cities throughout the state.
25 Years Ago
July 25, 1997
- Eads Elementary School has been renovated with a new heating system, completion of the window installation, new paint in every room and new carpet throughout. The playground improvements have begun.
40 Years Ago
July 23, 1982
- The Little Britches Rodeo will be held at the Kiowa County Fairgrounds in Eads for three days. There will be several contestants still trying to qualify to participate in the National Finals
- The 15th Annual Arlington School reunion is scheduled for August 1.
- The Plainview Hawks cheerleaders placed first out of 13 cheerleading squads at the Dynamic Cheerleading Association Camp held in Greeley.
- From the Sheriff’s Desk- Floyd Griswold: To date 16 skunks have been destroyed with the city limits of Eads over an 8-month period.
50 Years Ago
July 28, 1972
- The Board of Directors of the Southeast Colorado Water Conservancy District voted to curtail any further discussion of the proposed transfer of Amity Mutual Irrigation Company water from the Great Plains Reservoirs to John Martin.
- A new business in Kit Carson has opened under the ownership of Anna Henderson. She also has antique store you can browse through.
75 Years Ago
July 25, 1947
- Two bus load of 4-H boys and girls left for a four day camp meeting in the mountains.
100 Years Ago
July 28, 1922
- Word received from Kit Carson to the north of Eads about a twister which did considerable damage to the buildings about town.