Pages from the Past - From our 136-year Archives for August 13, 2023
15 Years Ago
August 8, 2008
- Little Sprouts Childcare raises $900 in Literacy Fundraiser.
- Wild Horse reported a little over two inches of rain, while Kit Carson recorded almost three inches.
25 Years Ago
August 7, 1998
- Between 0.80 and 6 inches of rain fell in Kiowa County, leaving large pools of water on formerly dry lake beds and other low areas.
40 Years Ago
August 12, 1983
- A Missouri Pacific train derailed at the Bartlett & Company Grain Elevator in Eads. Five cars left the track, one of which was a tanker full of naphtha.
- Jack and Lonnie Busby, a father and son team, took top honors at the Eighth Annual Holly Fiddler’s contest. Lonnie is the Youth Pastor at the First Christian Church.
50 Years Ago
August 10, 1973
- This little Cheyenne County town, the namesake of the west’s most famous trail scout, Kit Carson, will hold its biggest community event.
- Five counties in southeast Colorado - Bent, Baca, Kiowa, Otero, and Prowers - will benefit from some $2,260,000 in highway construction according to the Colorado State Department of Highways’ 1973-74 budget.