Published Friday, June 9, 2017
Pages from the Past
15 Years Ago
June 7, 2002
- Ag Secretary designates most Colorado counties as drought disaster areas, making Colorado farmers and ranchers immediately eligible for USDA emergency farm loans.
- Coloradoans will get a rare chance to see the moon slide across the face of the sun during a partial solar eclipse.
- USDA update-Rod Johnson: 3 days in a row, temperatures in excess of 100 & high wind has caused continued serious problems with trying to farm and raise cattle.
- Wild Horse Roundup-Curtis Schrimp: Fire trucks, water trucks & lawmen really went buzzing by our place. I was told there was a plane dumping water on the Rush Creek fire.
25 Years Ago
June 4, 1992
- The delivery of recycling containers to Eads marks the beginning of the pilot program in Southeast Colorado.
- Two new business open in Eads. Kelli Berry Opened QT Tanning Salon and Shear Reflection operated by Nikki Hopkins open on Maine Street.
- A certificate of appreciation presented to Doris Lessenden of Eads High School for 12 years of service as Lamar Community College outreach coordinator for Kiowa County.
- The 9th annual Jinkens reunion held at the Aline Legion in Aline OK. A potluck supper was served. Photos of family heirlooms dating to the late 1800's were displayed for family to view.
40 Years Ago
June 10, 1977
- The cities of La Junta, Boone and Sugar City indicated they were not going to participate in the construction of the propose Arkansas Valley water conduit.
- The search for the Kiowa County Posse Queen to represent the county in statewide competition that meets here on Labor Day.
- Sheridan Lake farmer F. Hobart Hallock was appointed chairman of the state committee of the Agriculture Stabilization & Conservation Service.
- Merely Henry, Towner native, was named to coach North AAA all state basketball by Colorado coaches of the High School Activities Association.
- The first Wiley Hay Days will feature a tractor pull, carnival booth, fire truck rides BBQ lunch, ice cream social, parade and street dance.
50 Years Ago
June 9, 1967
- Two men from Rocky Ford drowned in Blue Lake when their boat became swamped when sudden wind caused large waves to engulf the boat. A third man manage to stay afloat until he was picked up.
- Playing at the Plains Theatre: Monkeys, Go Home!
- Bartlett & CO ad: Attention Farmers Make Use of the Recent Rain! Plant a Crop on Those Abandoned Wheat Acres. Grow Crambe
75 Years Ago
June 5, 1942
- The patrons of the Fine Flat school district voted to move the south schoolhouse father north to the more convenient oiled highway 287.
100 Years Ago
June 8, 1917
- Good substantial street crossing has been put in on Maine St. from the First National Bank north and one from the Post Office north & one is to be put in across Maine Street on the bank corner.
- The new road on the 1/2 section line, running north through Bristol has been granted by the Prowers County Commissioners. The road also designated as a state highway will run due north through Sheridan Lake and straight to Denver.