PROMO 660 x 440 Agriculture USDA Service Center Update

USDA Update – January 28, 2024

Eads USDA Service Center Staff


Disclaimer:  Information in this UPDATE is pertinent to Kiowa County FSA only. Producers reading this and that do not have FSA interest in Kiowa County are advised to contact their local FSA Office.



There are many ways for our customers to receive up to date FSA and NRCS information.  Below are different avenues to obtain information. 

  • Visit website  for up-to-date information for FSA/NRCS programs.
  • Receive text messages - Text COKiowa to FSANow (372-669) to subscribe.
  • Subscribe to GovDelivery emails:  Visit  or contact your local FSA Office.
  • For information on programs visit our website located at or like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter. USDA is an equal opportunity employer.

It is the customers responsibility to know what programs and benefits are available. 

Colorado Farm Service Agency is Hiring!

The Farm Service Agency is accepting applications for the following positions.  Interested individuals may apply through

Currently Open: 

*Temporary County Program Technician:

  • Washington County, Open until filled
  • Morgan County, Open until filled

Opening Soon:

The following announcements will be opening soon. Be on the lookout through USAJobs to apply when these open:

**Temporary County Program Technician:**

  • Moffat County
  • Montezuma County
  • Baca County

*To apply for one of the listed temporary positions, please contact Claudia Drechsel at or 720-544-2878 for more information.

If you are interested or know of someone who might be interested, please share this information with them.  Contact Claudia Drechsel at or 720-544-2878 if you have specific questions regarding the positions.

Signature Policy

Using the correct signature when doing business with FSA can save time and prevent a delay in program benefits.

The following are FSA signature guidelines: 

  • A married woman must sign her given name: Mrs. Mary Doe, not Mrs. John Doe
  • For a minor, FSA requires the minor's signature and one from the minor’s parent

Note: by signing a document with a minor, the parent is liable for actions of the minor and may be liable for refunds, liquidated damages, etc.

When signing on one’s behalf, the signature must agree with the name typed or printed on the form or be a variation that does not cause the name and signature to be in disagreement. Example - John W. Smith is on the form. The signature may be John W. Smith or J.W. Smith or J. Smith. Or Mary J. Smith may be signed as Mrs. Mary Joe Smith, M.J. Smith, Mary Smith, etc. 

FAXED signatures will be accepted for certain forms and other documents provided the acceptable program forms are approved for FAXED signatures. Producers are responsible for the successful transmission and receipt of FAXED information. 

Spouses may sign documents on behalf of each other for FSA and CCC programs in which either has an interest, unless written notification denying a spouse this authority has been provided to the county office. 

Spouses cannot sign on behalf of each other as an authorized signatory for partnerships, joint ventures, corporations, or other similar entities.  Likewise, a spouse cannot sign a document on behalf of the other to affirm the eligibility of oneself. 

Any member of a general partnership can sign on behalf of the general partnership and bind all members unless the Articles of Partnership are more restrictive. Spouses may sign on behalf of each other’s individual interest in a partnership, unless notification denying a spouse that authority is provided to the county office. Acceptable signatures for general partnerships, joint ventures, corporations, estates, and trusts must consist of an indicator “by” or “for” the individual’s name, individual’s name and capacity, or individual’s name, capacity, and name of entity.

For additional clarification on proper signatures contact your local FSA office.

Applying for FSA Direct Loans

FSA offers direct farm ownership and direct farm operating loans to producers who want to establish, maintain, or strengthen their farm or ranch. Direct loans are processed, approved and serviced by FSA loan officers.

Direct farm operating loans can be used to purchase livestock and feed, farm equipment, fuel, farm chemicals, insurance, and other costs including family living expenses. Operating loans can also be used to finance minor improvements or repairs to buildings and to refinance some farm-related debts, excluding real estate.

Direct farm ownership loans can be used to purchase farmland, enlarge an existing farm, construct and repair buildings, and to make farm improvements.

The maximum loan amount for direct farm ownership loans is $600,000 and the maximum loan amount for direct operating loans is $400,000 and a down payment is not required. Repayment terms vary depending on the type of loan, collateral and the producer's ability to repay the loan. Operating loans are normally repaid within seven years and farm ownership loans are not to exceed 40 years.

Please contact your local FSA office for more information or to apply for a direct farm ownership or operating loan.