15 Years Ago
January 11, 2002
- The Kiowa County Economic Development Foundation teamed up with Colorado Tree Coalition Grant Program to plant 36 trees & remove stumps this past year, in Arlington, Haswell, Eads, Brandon Sheridan Lake and Towner
- A number of Haswell folks enjoyed a card party on New Year's Eve at the center. Real fun for all!
- Wild Horse Roundup-Curtis Schrimp: New Year's Eve, 14 people gathered at the schoolhouse & played 10 games of pitch
- U.S. Senator Wayne Allard will hold a Kiowa County town meeting in Eads
25 Years Ago
January 9, 1992
- Weisbrod Nursing Home residents could hardly believe their good luck when the Sheridan Lake Lions Club walked in with a big sack of peanuts and peanut brittle. Also a large box of apples and oranges.
40 Years Ago
January 14, 1977
- Marvin A. Appelhans filed suit in district court to overturn the rejection by the Kiowa County Board of Commissioners of his application to sell 3.2 beer.
- The Liberal KS man found dead on Maine St in Eads Christmas Day died of a heart attack.
- The Eads board of trustees zipped through a brief agenda in record time for them. They rejected a4-year terms for trustees and any action of formation of a recreation district.
- Potpourri: As usual, the Super Bowl was not quite super. It was dull.
- Potpourri: Home Demonstration: Proud owner of a new bowling ball and a hole in the wall is our town's Bert Howerton. Taking the ball out of its carton, Bert decided to show daughter, Connie, how the shiny ball worked. A little too hard, however, and knocked a hole in the living room wall.
- The Colorado Farm Bureau is requesting Governor Lamm to initiate immediately a statewide weather modification program to help relieve Colorado's severe drought problems.
50 Years Ago
January 13, 1967
- Keith and Mary Lea Wissel announce the grand opening of Wissel Dry Goods formerly Smith Dry Goods.
- RE-1 Superintendent ask the board to decide if the Activity Bus was to leave hard surface road from Eads to Haswell and return
100 Years Ago
January 12, 1917
- Those familiar with James Lang's automobile hard luck will consider this a real news item. He wnt out for a ride Sunday some distance from town & and returned without being towed in.
- Louie Wilson is now editor and manager of the Kiowa County Press.