Published Sunday, December 18, 2016
15 Years Ago
December 21, 2001
- With the assistance of a grant from The Colorado Trust through the CO Rural Health Center, a handicapped accessible bathroom has been added to the Eads United Methodist Church.
- Letters to Santa: How are you in the North Pole? I hope you can give me a skateboard and a pony. But what I really want is a letter from you & your wife. Do you remember Mrs. Gooden when she was a little girl & she put her letter by the window? And I've been a good girl. Love Leish Rae Peck
- Lance Jagers took 6 members of the Eads FFA to Cheyenne Wells for a Parliamentary Procedure contest. The team took 2nd place.
- The climax of the Haswell community Christmas supper was the arrival of jolly Santa Clause who also had treat snakes for the children
- Wild Horse Roundup-Curtis Schrimp: Steve & family came to celebrate our Christmas together early. To start out a calf needed branded so Steve, Nathan & I took care of that. All went down and saw Santa. I sat on his knee and got a sack of candy
25 Years Ago
December 19, 1991
- Burl Scherler of Sheridan Lake named 1991 Commissioner of the Year at a recent Colorado Counties Inc convention.
- Poetry 4th Grade Eads: Winter Days by Danyelle Sheridan: When winter falls, it comes real soon. And then will come a little moon. The rabbits will come & bounce in the fluff. The deer will think it is really rough. The stars will try to twinkle through the snow, And then will come down with a big glow.
- Dec 1, hospitals, nursing homes, & other health facilities must give all adult patients information on their rights under state law to accept or refuse medical treatment.
- Sean Lening won the Plainview Geography Bee
40 Years Ago
December 17, 1976
- Eads board of Trustees ordered a crack-down of traffic violators in the town. The result of the effort ay determine the future of the police chief.
- The Kiowa County board of commissioners prohibited the construction of livestock feedlots within 2 miles of any municipal corporate limit in the county
- Two 600 lbs. yearling calves were found butchered in a pasture14 miles northeast of Eads.
- Linda Hopkins & Floyd Griswould named employees of the year at Weisbrod Memorial Hospital & Nursing Home.
- Betty Jacobs reports sales of the book on Kiowa County' history is going like "hot Cakes'. She is having difficulity keeping merchants in Eads supplied and now has people in Haswell, Towner, and Sheridan Lake selling the book.
50 Years Ago
December 16, 1966
- USDA Soil Conservation Service will open a office in Eads January 3 1967.
- Mike Lening a junior at Plainview was elected to be a delegate at the Farmers Union convention
75 Years Ago
December 12, 1941
- This great nation was shaken last Sunday morning with announcement of surprise attack on our territory by Japanese bombers.
100 Years Ago
December 8, 1916
- J.W. Blair and H.V. Fluke returned from a hunting trip with 3 fine geese. Blair still is the champion goose killer in this vicinity having killed 8 so far.
- (Brandon) Henry Bodey bought the Pool Hall from Lem Runkle.
- The 12th annual ball for the cowboy and cattlemen of Southeastern CO will be held in La Junta. This one promises to even better than last year. Last year was attended over 400 of the clan and cost between $700 and $800 .
- December 15 1916: W.A. Cater employed at the Foster Lumber yards here, has been transferred to the yard in Sheridan Lake.