Pages from the Past
15 Years Ago
November 9, 2001
- John Wesley Brown, a lifelong resident of Kiowa County, will be receiving the Korean War Service Medal.
- Mostly dry, dusty conditions prevailed in Colorado this past week. Weather allowed producers average 7 days suitable for field work but overall moisture supplies to deteriorate.
- Anyone who like to sing is invited to come to the first Christmas Cantata practice.
- Paul and Glenda Stoker, with the assistance of Donald Oswald, Greg Miller, and others, served a great fish fry at the Haswell City Park.
- Plainview class of 2001 will be having a one-act play entitled Wanted: One Groom.
25 Years Ago
November 7, 1991
- Kiowa County was almost back to normal Tues. after a slow-moving storm system dumped up to a foot of snow last week,
- Weisbrod Memorial Hospital & Nursing Home faces a projected deficit for the end of fiscal year 199of more than $108,000
- The Plainview Hawks finished the regular season in a three-way tie for 2nd place in class A 6 man Southern Division Football League.
40 Years Ago
November 6, 1976
- Amended Kiowa County Budget seeking to raise mill levy 3 mills instead of 5 has been approved by the State Department of Local Affairs.
- Republicans in Kiowa County carried every contested race in Tuesday's general election.
- Sheriff Larry Watts thanked members of the Kiowa County Sheriff's Posse-Search & Rescue for contributing their time to assist during the Halloween Holiday.
- KLMR has received a permit from the FCC to construct an FM radio station in Lamar according to Dennis Behan, president of KLR Inc.
- Direct Distance Dialing - DDD comes to Sheridan Lake, Towner and Hartman November 1
50 Years Ago
November 4, 1966
- Karen Ann Teeter was awarded 1st place in Junior Division of the 20th annual Make It Yourself With Wool contest.
- Ceil Crocket was dressed in his Sunday best to attend the Democratic rally. The plan was he and Betty were to stop by Mr. & Mrs. Lynn Taylor and the group would proceed to Granada. Instead a surprise birthday party was planned..for Ceil.
- Buddy E. Wiser principal of Haswell Elementary School has been chosen to appear in 1966 edition Who's Who Colorado edition.
75 Years Ago
October 24, 1941
- The Eads Lions Club devoted their meeting to the discussion of the turkey market problems for this season.
- Our new streamline train The Colorado Eagle and its identical twin, construction is moving forward at a rapid pace at the Philadelphia plant Budd Manufacturing.
100 Years Ago
October 27, 1916
- The parties who broke into & robbed Wolver & Co. store was taken from a freight train the following morning at Scott City KS.