Pages from the Past - From our 136-year Archives for August 6, 2023
15 Years Ago
August 1, 2008
- Kiowa County implemented a reverse telephone alert system that adds to the county’s ability to notify resents about critical information during emergencies.
25 Years Ago
July 31, 1998
- USDA Update- Rod Johnson: In May 1996 price of wheat in Kiowa County was $4.70 per bu., in July 1998 it is around $2.20 per bu.
- East End Events- Christy Hopkins: Several traveled to La Junta, had dinner at Felica’s, and then attended “Fiddler on the Roof” at the Picketwire Theater.
40 Years Ago
August 5, 1983
- Two new physicians have arrived in Eads. Drs. John Hadley & Michael Fuhrman began work August 1.
- June & Gene Owens purchase the C.J Saloon. The “June Bug” as now known, was originally owned by June from 1979-1980. She sold it, and now she and Gene have repurchased the lounge and both will manage it.
50 Years Ago
August 3, 1973
- Johnny Western, formerly of “Have Gun Will Travel” will be the star of the Grand Ole Opry show to appear in conjunction with the Kiowa County Fair.
75 Years Ago
- Several in Eads recently purchased new cars. Ray Aldrich’s a new Pontiac, George Crow’s a Chrysler and Kenneth Seirer’s a Packard.
- Towner- 225 cars of wheat have been shipped from here at this time.
100 Years Ago
- Haswell will have a rodeo & barbecue. There will be bronco busting, races, ball games & more.