Published Saturday, January 28, 2017
15 Years Ago
January 25, 2002
- Wild Horse Roundup-Curtis Schrimp: I know people don't like to see birthdays roll around, but mine Sat. was kind of nice. No Party but lot of nice cards and phone calls. Marty made my favorite meat dish, meat loaf.
- The overall Junior Champion for the 2001-2002 Science Fair was Andrea Buxton and overall Senior Champion was Dain Barnett
25 Years Ago
January 23, 1992
- RE-1 Board considers ways to trim budget. Some things on the chopping block: Eliminate salad bar from cafeteria; eliminate athletic routes; eliminate staff members free meals;
- The first organized meeting of the Towner Volunteer Fire Department will be held at Sheridan Lake Fire Department.
- Deidre Davis of Haswell advanced to state level of the Elk's Hoop Shoot Free Throw Contest with a 1st place win at Alamosa.
40 Years Ago
January 28, 1977
- Kiowa County School Dist RE-1 promulgated policies on use of tobacco, alcohol and other drugs and the use of physical restraint & and corporal punishment.
- No definite word has been received in Kiowa County concerning the form drought assistance might take.
50 Years Ago
January 27, 1967
- Mountain States Telephone and Eastern Slope Rural Telephone exchanged certain properties on Jan 1 whereby Eads, Kit Carson and Hugo are to be service by ESRTA. Haswell has been serviced by Eastern Slope Rural Telephone for some time.
- The Board of County Commissioners of Kiowa County CO are desirous of selling a 1967 ElCamino. The vehicle is new & has only been driven from Lamar to Eads.