Published Friday, February 10, 2017
15 Years Ago
February 8, 2002
- First significant snow of the year fell in Kiowa County leaving 7 inches of snow and 1/3 inch of moisture.
- Native Americans and Alaska Native students are eligible for a summer intern program at American University in Washington D.C. with transportation, meals & living expenses provided.
- Rambling Back With Rip: We had our first tornado warning of the new year, yesterday, for Clarskville Arkansas.
- Wild Horse Roundup- Curtis Schrimp: You never know who or what you may see reading a newspaper.. I was reading a Denver paper and there was a picture of Connie Stove eating a Yak Burger at the Stock Show.
25 Years Ago
February 6, 1992
- Plainview football standout Lynn Scherler will accept a full-ride football scholarship to Texas Tech in Lubbock TX.
- Kiowa County Commissioners launched an effort to buy lower Arkansas irrigated land and water rights.
- For the first time, Colorado voters who are registered by Feb 7 will have 2 chances to tell the nation which presidential candidate they want in the White House.
- There were a lot of smiles in the Towner area when light moisture fell & began to accumulate since the blowing dirt occurred as another front moved through the area.
40 Years Ago
February 11, 1977
- The Eads board of trustees voted to prohibit U-turns on Maine Street Tuesday night.
- The attorney for the owner of a dog, for which a complaint has been lodged, has filed a motion for trial by jury of 6 persons and to have access to any evidence which might be in possession of the towns' attorney.
- Clarence Woelk was elected to the Colorado Wheat Advisory Committee, representing Kiowa County during a meeting of the wheat growers.
- The Bookmobile arrived in Brandon as scheduled Tuesday; Due to a breakdown they were unable to make the monthly January trip.
50 Years Ago
February 10, 1967
- Gale Garner was the Eads boy to qualify for the State Wrestling Meet.
- Plainview extended their winning streak to 15, keeping their undefeated season intact.
- Mr. & Mrs. Luther Davisson, Mr. & Mrs. Henry Knudtson and Mr. & Mrs. George Weber were observing their 50th Wedding Anniversary's.
- Gene Koch left for Cape Kennedy where he will take part with a crew of men from Ball Brothers of Boulder in launching a satellite