Steve Baxter is retiring as the Kiowa County Treasurer after 36 years of service.
According to the Bureau of Labor, the average a person is employed at one job is 4.6 years. Few politicians stay in office over 20 years.
But is he really retiring?
This week at Lamar Theatre
- The lapse of federal appropriations and the subsequent partial shutdown of government agencies has forced the closure of the Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site in Kiowa County according to Acting Superintendent Janet Frederick. She states the closure of the site is for the safety of visitors and park resources
Virginia Lee Mitchell
September 26, 1941 - January 1, 2019
Virginia Lee Mitchell was born September 26, 1941, in La Junta to Stewart G. and Nona Z. Smith. She was the fourth of five children. Her early years were spent at Ft. Lyon since her dad was a butcher at the Fort. She always talked about all the fun they had roller skating, riding bikes and swimming. Those we happy times for her.
John A. Stavely
August 2, 1922 - January 1, 2019
Graveside services will take place at the Haswell Cemetery in Haswell, at 11:30 a.m. Saturday, January 5, 2019.
Clarence Mitchell Cranford
August 30, 1955 - December 29, 2018
Clarence Mitchell Cranford, 63, of Eads, passed away on December 29, 2018 in Rocky Ford. Mitch was born in Boulder August 30, 1955, to Walter and Charlotte Cranford along with his twin brother, Thomas Michael Cranford. A few years down the road, their younger sister Michele would join along. Later, Charlotte remarried to Clark Beeson, who would later adopt Mitchell and his siblings, bringing them to Eads.
Friday, Jan. 4 *School In Session
- No Preschool; Preschool Teacher In Service (H)
- 4:00 p.m. HS BB (H) Kit Carson
- *Eagellets Dance All Groups Halftime of V Girls
- *Eastern Slope Hoop Shoot at Halftime V Boys
- Lunch: Nachos w/ Spanish Rice
Saturday, Jan. 5
- 4:00 p.m. HS BB (H) Stratton
- *Girls V Half Grades 3-5 Skills Game
- *Boys V Half Grades 1-2 Skills Game
Monday, Jan. 7
- 3:00 p.m. FBLA Meeting
Nebraska's Hastings College has announced the fall Dean's List, which includes students from across Colorado.