News and information from the USDA Service Center in Eads, Kiowa County, Colorado.
Theodore "Ted" E. Billinger Jr.
June 3, 1947 - March 13, 2019
Mr. Billinger passed away unexpectedly at his home in Cheyenne Wells. He was a longtime businessman, pharmacist and owner of the Wells Pharmacy in Cheyenne Wells.
Visitation will be held March 19, 2019, from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. at Brown Funeral Home, 335 S 1stE, Cheyenne Wells.
Funeral services will be held March 20 at 11:00 a.m. at the old Cheyenne Wells High school, with burial following at Fairview Cemetery.
A look at life in eastern Kiowa County, Colorado, by Sharon Scott
Life in Eads and Kiowa County, Colorado, as observed by Doris Lessenden.
The Regular Meeting of the Town of Eads Board of Trustees was called to order by Mayor Shields, Tuesday February 12, 2019 at 4:58 p.m. in the Town Hall. Robin Fox, Town Clerk, took roll call:
Mayor - Joe D. Shields- present
Trustees - Present -Kathy McCracken, Terry Riley, Dennis Pearson, and Justin McLoud
Absent - Lisa Trigilio
Town Clerk- Robin Fox -Present
Assistant Clerk- Shealynn McCracken-Present
Director of Public Works- Van Brown- Absent
See all the article published for the week ending March 16, 2019, in the Kiowa County, Colorado, Press.
From the history files of the Kiowa County Press in Eads, Colorado, for the week of March 15
15 Years Ago
March 12, 2004
- The Kiowa County Hospital District would like to announce that their new Physician, Dr.Bilal Ahmand, has started practice at the hospital
- Wild Horse Roundup-Curtis Schrimp: Lee and I went to Kit Carson Monday to get our blood pressure check. The field west of Sorrento was blowing so you had to turn on your lights.
25 Years Ago
March 18, 1994
- Kristi Baxter was named tournament MVP by the Rocky Mountain News after the Lady Eagles won their second consecutive Class A championship title 7 the third such title in four years.
- Eads Town Manager Steve Rabe announced that the town will receive a $131,000 grant from the Colorado Department of Aviation's Discretionary Grant Fund to resurface the runway at the airport.
40 Years Ago
March 16, 1979
- Though the deadline is approaching for candidates to file for Nomination Petition and Notice of intent to run, there seems little interest shown in the Eads community.
- Eads high school Match-witz team will be appearing on channel 8 KTSC. The Eads students are the only class A school left in the quarter finals against Triple A schools.
- Senior Citizens News- Rhua Sloan and Ethel Johnson: Every chair was occupied in the Ceramics Room at the center in honor of Bessie Kelley's birthday.
50 Years Ago
March 14, 1969
- Mr. & Mrs. John A. Stavely were hosts to a steak dinner at the Haswell Cafe honoring the Haswell basketball team. The team had won 10 games, lost 4 and took home third place at the tournaments at Wiley and Kit Carson.
- Mrs. Raymond (Shirley) Wissel was named city champion of the Rock Springs, Wyoming, women's bowling tournament. Mrs. Wissel is the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. George Bickel of Haswell and daughter-in-law of Mr. & Mrs. Ward Wissel of Eads.
- Towner News: Due to the storm this week, there isn't much news
75 Years Ago
March 10, 1944
- A two-motored plane from the La Junta Air Base made a "belly landing" near the Lessenden farm northwest of Eads last Saturday afternoon. Report is they were lost, ran out of gas and made a force landing. The crew was not injured.
A transaction was completed for the purchase of the Strahan Cafe by Mr. & Mrs. Rol McDaniel. For more than 20 years Mr. & Mrs. H.C. Strahan have owned & operated the institution here., 2019.
Pearls of faith and wisdom from Pastor Richard Zabriskie.